Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Dec 12 at 17:11 PM

Late Leveller for Hatters

Craig Hobson came off the bench to earn County a draw in injury time against AFC Telford United to halt the team's run of successive defeats. Hobson, who along with Danny Hattersley and Sam Sheridan had missed training due to a virus at the club, saw his late shot deflected into the Railway End goal for the point that was the least his side had deserved. 

In a first half more or less dominated by the Hatters Matt Mainwaring was first to test visiting keeper Ryan Young with shot from outside the box which the keeper saved well. Andy Halls saw his fine strike, from a Connor Jennings through ball, hit the side netting with Mainwaring again coming close from a Tom Collins cross, whilst Jennings saw a delightful curled effort saved well by Young.

On a rare break forward Ryan Valentine put in a superb cross for Keiran St Aimie who somehow shot wide from in front of goal.

The visitors, struggling to keep up with the pace of the game, threw bodies in the way of everything earning bookings for both Dan Preston and Phil Trainer. County's neat play earning a succession of corner kicks without really troubling Young in goal, Nolan creating a chance for himself as he skipped past several challenges before shooting narrowly wide.

The half ended in a dramatic fashion as the visitors were awarded a free kick after James Tunnicliffe and St Aimie had clashed heads on the edge of the box.

Ian Ormson making a good save from Valentine's shot before sending Jennings away with an inch perfect kick, the strikers effort being deflected for a corner. Referee Stockbridge blowing the whistle to bring a pulsating half to an end as Young claimed the high ball in.

HT: Stockport County 0 AFC Telford United 0

Both sides made a change for the start of the second half Danny O'Donnell replacing Halls who had left the pitch limping, Jon Brown replacing Spray for United.

St Aimie missed the best chance of the game so far when he shot wide after Jake Reid's pass had eluded Ormson, whilst Danny Whitehead shot straight at Ryan Young after he had been found by a Collins cross.

The goal the game had threatened for so long eventually came but unfortunately it went the way of Telford as a shot from outside the box was charged down by Tunnicliffe only to fall at the feet of Phil Trainer who expertly dispatched it into the net.

Far from letting their heads down the Hatters went in search of an immediate response and yet another surging run from Collins earned his side another corner. Mainwaring's kick falling at the feet of Jennings who turned swiftly to level the scores with his sixth goal since signing on loan.

The goals seemed to inspire both sides and the visitors almost retook the lead as Trainer headed a cross against the bar, St Aimie missing an open goal from the rebound as he struck the ball wide.

Both sides made changes with a quarter of an hour to go, Craig Hobson replacing Collins for the Hatters, Luke Hubbins replacing St Aimie for the visitors. It was the diminutive Hubbins who was to make an immediate impact with an unlikely back post header to give his side the lead again.

In a frantic finish to the game, Cameron Darkwah replaced Fagbola the Hatters forcing a further two corner kicks, Jennings turning in the box to fire just passed the post. The strikers next touch saw him tee up Hobson for the last gasp equaliser that County so richly deserved.

FT: Stockport County 2 (Jennings, Hobson) AFC Telford United 2

Starting XI: Ormson, Halls (O'Donnell), Tunnicliffe, Whitehead, Kenyon, Collins (Hobson), Brownhill, Nolan, Fagbola (Darkwah), Mainwaring, Jennings.
Subs: Smith, Connor, O'Donnell, Hobson, Darkwah.
ATT: 2,791 (117) 

    Latest Match Reports