Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 14 Aug 12 at 21:30 PM

It's the late, late show for Hatters

A last minute goal from Danny Whitehead set the seal on a superb comeback from Jim Gannon's young side as they continued their great start to the new season with a win at Grimsby Town. The young striker and Danny Rowe both struck home left footed efforts to ensure that County won their first two opening League games for the first time since their manager was playing for the Hatters.
Danny Rowe came in for the injured Sam Sheridan, for the only change to the starting line up from Saturday's win against Alfreton as County looked to avenge their heavy defeat at Blundell Park last season.
The first action of the game came as the home side created space on the left. A decent cross in being hooked back into the danger area by Andy Cook. The strikers effort striking the angle of the crossbar, with Danny O'Donnell clearing the danger.
Rowe was first to show for the Hatters a minute later, showing  some neat footwork to create a chance for himself in the six yard box. His effort flying just over the bar.
Ian Ormson's first action came as he came to the edge of his box to punch clear as Aswad Thomas's free kick looked for Andy Cook on 6 minutes.
Neat football from the home side a minute later almost created a chance for Greg Pearson. The offside flag coming to the Hatters rescue.
Ormson was back in action on 9 minutes, plucking a long distance drive from Thomas at it's highest point.
Craig Hobson headed County's first real chance over the bar from a Rowe cross before heading another cross wide, this time from Sean Newton, on 16 minutes.
The big striker's next action saw him enter the referees notebook after his high footed challenge on Joe Colbeck on 20 minutes left the midfielder in a heap.
The game had become a little scrappy as both sides gave away a series of free kicks, with Hobson firing wide on 28 mins after a quick free kick and good work on left from Rowe and Newton
A minute later Greg Pearson fired in a cross from the right after outpacing Newton, Ormson collecting comfortably
James Tunnicliffe and Shaun Pearson were spoken to by referee Knowles after an altercation as Rowe waited to take a County corner kick
Having gathered the ball safely from another cross into the box Ormson, unaware that Greg Pearson was behind him, rolled the ball out of his feet only to see the striker nick the ball off his toes. Newton rescuing his keeper with a goal saving challenge as Pearson looked to slot home.
The home side kept up the pressure towards the end of the half and another corner on 40 minutes was well cleared towards the halfway line. Niven launching the ball back into the box for Ormson once again coming some distance to punch clear.
Town then missed a glorious opportunity on 42 minutes as Colbeck's cross evaded everyone in the County box and drifted harmlessly for a goal kick.
HT: Grimsby Town 0 Stockport County 0
Neither team made changes for the start of the second half, with the first action coming as home defender Shaun Pearson made his way into the referees book for speaking out of turn on 51 minutes.
Town, who were playing neat passing football without hurting the Hatters, made two early changes as Greg Pearson and Andy Cook were replaced by Liam Hearn and former Hatter Anthony Elding.
Gannon, very much aware that the twin strike force had caused his defence many problems last season, immediately brought on Carl Piergianni for Hobson to provide additional cover at the back.
Danny Hattersley's header on 62 minutes almost embarrassed home keeper James McKeown, as he slipped whilst coming to gather the ball at the end of a rare attack by County.
A slick passing move from Town on 65 minutes came to nothing as Ormson claimed a decent cross in from the left hand side, before the home supporters thought their team had opened scoring a minute later. Hearn's snap shot being just wide of the post.
With pressure on the County defence growing, a Frankie Artus free kick from the left hand side brought the opening goal as Hearn headed the deep cross back across goal to Nathan Pond.
The big defender, who had come up for the free kick spectacularly hooking the ball over his head to crash it in off the bar on 68 minutes.
Gannon made another change on 72 minutes with Danny Whitehead replacing the tiring Hattersley. 
Derek Niven becoming the second home player to be booked after a deliberate handball stopped a County attack on 75 minutes.
The home side appeared content with a one goal lead and with County's re-arranged defence allowing Tunnicliffe to push forward into midfield, the Hatters were now looking more lively going forward.
On 80 minutes Andy Halls chased down a ball in the corner, his block deflecting the ball into the path of Rowe who skipped inside his man to rifle home a sweet left footed effort passed the unsighted McKeown to level the scores.
Within minutes both sides made substitutions with Louis Soares replacing Artus and Cameron Darkwah coming on for goal scorer Rowe.
The Hatters were now looking for the winner and appeared to be getting stronger as the game came to a close, earning themselves a succession of corner kicks.
From the third of these kicks in the last minute, no home defender closed down a short corner from Newton to Nolan who then fed Whitehead on the edge of the box. 
The young striker's first effort was charged down but he made no mistake with his second, slamming home a sweet left foot drive to claim all three points for the Hatters and erase the memory of their last visit to Blundell Park in an instant.
FT: Grimsby Town 1 Stockport County 2 (Rowe, Whitehead)
Starting XI: Ormson, Halls, Newton, Connor, O'Donnell, Tunnicliffe, Kenyon, Hattersley (Whitehead), Hobson (Piergianni), Nolan, Rowe (Darkwah).
Subs: King, Whitehead, Darkwah, Piergianni, Fagbola.
ATT 3670 (173)

    Latest Match Reports