Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Jan 13 at 17:47 PM

County chop Forest down

County won their first game of the post Jim Gannon era as Alan Lord took charge of the team for the game against Forest Green Rovers. Sean Newton and Jon Nolan scored the goals that clinched a first home league win since November as fourth placed Forest Green Rovers were beaten.

The visitors started the match in lively form earning two corners in quick succession, with set plays have undone the County defence for all the goals in the defeat by Mansfield Town it was pleasing to see James Tunnicliffe and Alex Kenyon clearing their lines on both occasions.

In a very encouraging first half the Hatters took the game to the visitors, Danny Hattersley earning a corner from which Newton played in Danny Whitehead, his effort being charged down.

Connor Jennings and Hattersley were causing the Rovers defence problems with their movement both just failing to test the keeper as last ditch blocks and tackles from Jamie Turley and Chris Stokes kept them out. Whitehead then seeing his cross-shot clearing the far post.

Tunnicliffe had to be at his towering best to clear another corner kick after a dangerous counter attack from Rovers, before Richard O'Donnell made the save of the game to deny Rovers Matt Taylor.

The striker had been the fortunate recipient of a deflected shot from Al Bangura, the ball landing at Taylor's feet in the 6 yard box. O'Donnell somehow charging down the shot when all inside Edgeley Park were waiting for the net to bulge. 

A minute later and Yan Klukowski missed a good chance to open the scoring as he scuffed an effort wide following good play between Stokes and Bangura.

The visitors were then punished for the two spurned opportunities when the Hatters scored the goal their attacking play deserved.

Nolan and Jennings combined to force an opening before Jennings was brought down 20 yards from goal. Newton delivered the perfect free kick as his curled effort cleared the defensive wall to find the top corner of the net and send his side in a goal up at the break.

HT: Stockport County 1 (Newton) Forest Green Rovers

The second half started in spectacular fashion for the Hatters firstly Jennings had a header, from a Newton cross, saved comfortably by Sam Russell, before the on loan striker set up Nolan for his first goal for the club.

Jennings raced onto a ball down the left before tricking his way past Jared Hodgkiss to play in Nolan, the County midfielder taking one touch before crashing the ball home in front of a delighted Cheadle End to make it 2-0.

With the game slipping away from them, Rovers replaced the ineffective Magno Vieira with Reece Styche who had scored one of their goals in County's defeat at The New Lawn earlier in the season.

The forward made an immediate defence to the visitors play, earning his side a free kick which Klukowski fired over the bar, before latching onto a long ball over the top to crash a shot passed O'Donnell to bring his side back into the game.

Many County supporters were expecting a free kick to the Hatters as Jennings appeared to be bundled over outside the Rovers box, but with the referee waving play on the visitors took full advantage.

Both sides were now looking for the next goal, Sam Sheridan blocking a goal bound effort, Whitehead skipping through several challenges before shooting weakly at Russell.

In a fiery last few minutes Stokes crashed into Andy Halls and then appeared to raise his hands towards the County defenders face. Both players earning a booking, Nolan joining them after he had also become involved in the ensuing fracas.

Substitute Craig Hobson had the ball in the net in a frantic finish, although he had quite clearly barged Russell in the build up.

FT: Stockport County 2 (Newton, Nolan) Forest Green Rovers 1

Starting XI: O'Donnell, Halls, Newton, Tunnicliffe, Whitehead, Kenyon, Hattersley (Hobson), Sheridan (Collins), Nolan, Fagbola, Jennings.
Subs: Ormson, Connor, Collins, Hobson, Mainwaring.

ATT: 2,802 (51)


    Latest Match Reports