Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 22 Feb 13 at 21:34 PM

Hatters beaten by Bulls

County were beaten by the odd goal in five by a Hereford United side that kept up their impressive form away from home. The Hatters had taken the lead in the first half as Adnan Cirak took advantage of a loose ball in the box after Mark Cullen had been felled by the visitors keeper. Having fallen behind in the second half County levelled through an own goal before losing to a late header.

The Hatters began the game well with neat play from Simon Hackney finding Sean Newton on the left, the full backs cross clearing bar. A minute later Mark Cullen raced onto a through ball from Adnan Cirak only for James Bittner to block his shot. Another neat spell of play between Hackney and Cullen saw the latter's cross just evading Cirak.

The visitors first opportunity came in the 12th minute as a foul by James Tunnicliffe on Chris Sharp gave Sam Clucas a chance to test the Hatters defence with a deep free kick, Sam Sheridan clearing the danger.

County took the lead their play deserved on 16 minutes. Cullen, free on the right, clipped the ball over Bittner but was sent crashing to the floor by the keeper, referee Evans allowing play to go on as Cirak tapped the ball into the empty net, before booking the keeper for his challenge.

County's defensive frailties returned once again as United scored from their first corner of the game on 28 minutes. A quick corner played out to the edge of the box, caught the Hatters defence out, Andy Gallinagh crossing for Luke Graham to head home unchallenged.

HT: Stockport County 1 (Cirak) Hereford United 1

The visitors started the second half on the front foot and almost took the lead in the first minute of the half as a poor back header from Johan Hammar allowed Ryan Bowman a chance, United's top scorer wasting the opportunity by chipping over bar.

A long throw into the County box landed at the feet of Sharp, his snap shot being well saved by Richard O'Donnell. The goal that had been threatened since the half began came as Marley Watkins outpaced Tunnicliffe before crossing for Bowman who headed home to put his side in front.

County had to wait until the hour mark before earning their first corner of the game, the second coming as Hackney's cross was deflected behind. From the wingers corner the Hatters drew level, Graham diverting the ball past his own keeper under pressure from Tunnicliffe.

With their counter attacking game and superior possession, the visitors were looking the more likely to win the match and only a superb tackle from Sheridan to deny Bowman denied them the lead.

Cirak, having been found free in the box by Hackney's superb cross, saw his shot tipped over by Bittner with County's best chance to win the game.

The winner however went to the visitors as substitute Marlon Jackson was found free on the left, his cross headed home by Josh O'Keefe to claim all three points for the Bulls.

FT: Stockport County 2 (Cirak, O.G.) Hereford United 3   

Starting XI: O'Donnell, Halls, Newton, Hammar, Tunnicliffe, Sheridan (Marshall), Cullen (Whitehead), Nolan, Cirak (Hattersley), Mainwaring, Hackney.

Subs: Ormson, Hattersley, Whitehead, Fagbola, Marshall.

ATT:  2,618 (78)  

    Latest Match Reports