Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 06 Oct 12 at 20:30 PM

Away day victory for County

County continued their unbeaten run with a second successive win as they claimed all three points at Edgar Street to make it four games undefeated. Alan Lord took charge of the Hatters with manager James Gannon serving a one match touchline ban after his dismissal at Southport.

The home side were first to show as a header from Sam Clucas cleared the bar as Marley Watkins whipped over a quality cross, Craig Hobson headed clear from the first corner of the game and Will Evans tried his luck from distance, his effort being well wide of Lewis King's goal.

The Bulls unfortunately lost top scorer Marlon Jackson with a hamstring injury within 10 minutes, the striker pulling up after a 50/50 challenge with Jordan Fagbola.

Danny Hattersley tried his luck with a shot from the edge of the box which James Bittner did well to palm away as County pushed forward for the first time.

With the home side earning two quick corners in succession the opening goal looked more likely to come their way but on 18 minutes it was the Hatters that took the lead.

James Tunnicliffe's long ball over the top was poorly defended by Hereford with the ball finding Hobson. The big striker turned inside his man and slotted home with a right footed effort that appeared to catch Bittner flat footed.

United's new on-loan striker Phil Marsh, Hobson's team mate at Stalybridge Celtic last season, almost snatched an equaliser as he volleyed  just passed King's post on 25 minutes. Sean Newton heading out an effort as the Bulls earned their fifth corner of the half,

Having taken the lead County were looking more confident Hattersley heading over from Sean Newton's free kick before shooting over after neat work from Matt Mainwaring on 38 minutes.

The Hatters made it 2-0 from their first corner of the game on 42 minutes as Hobson grabbed his fourth goal in two games. Newton's corner was headed straight back to him and from his cross the ball fell kindly for Hobson to scramble home to give his side a comfortable lead at the break.

HT: Hereford United 0 Stockport County 2 (Hobson 2)

Alex Kenyon replaced Tom Collins at the start of the second half as County looked to consolidate but again it was the Bulls that started the half brighter earning an early corner kick. Marsh's spectacular effort from the edge of the box charged down by the County defence. A needless foul by Newton on the busy Watkins brought another opportunity which King did well to punch clear under pressure.

As the half opened up neat play down the left hand side between Newton and Mainwaring saw Kenyon go down in the box, with referee Horwood waving away appeals for a penalty on 56 minutes, whilst Hattersley had a decent effort well saved by Bittner on the hour mark.

A Bulls short corner routine caught the County defence napping as Marsh drove an effort just wide whilst Ryan Bowman's header beat King only to rebound to safety off the far post.

The home side were now looking the more likely to score the next goal as the pressure became constant, King punching clear from their 9th corner of game and after Kenyon had been penalised for another foul on Watkins, the winger almost forced home the resulting free kick.

Having been given a stern test by Watkins, Newton was replaced by Gannon's latest signing Tom Eckersley who was straight into action winning an aerial battle to free Turnbull down the right. His next action was to be spoken to by ref Horwood for a foul on Bulls sub James McQuilkin.

On a rare break for the Hatters Hobson, on a hat trick, clipped an effort wide with Mainwaring delivering a perfect cross from the left which just evaded Hattersley.

The goal that had been threatened for much of the half arrived on 77 minutes as Watkins again delivered a cross, with Marsh controlling the ball before rifling it into the bottom corner.

It was now all home pressure Tunnicliffe, Eckersley and Jordan Fagbola all heading efforts clear from a succession of corners and crosses as Hereford looked for the leveller.

Danny Rowe replaced two goal Hobson on 82 minutes with the striker clearly struggling from an earlier knock to the ankle. County sub Eckersley earning a booking for a foul on the lively Watkins.

It was all hands to the pump for the Hatters as the game came to a close, Fagbola headed a cross out for the home sides 12th corner of the game before heading the resulting kick clear to the edge of the box, King being called into action to tip away the returned ball. Kenyon, Hattersley and Eckersley all clearing chances before King claimed the final cross of the game as the travelling blue & white army celebrated the final whistle.

FT: Hereford United 1 Stockport County 2 (Hobson)

Starting XI: King, Halls, Newton (Eckersley), Tunnicliffe, Hattersley, Collins (Kenyon), Hobson (Rowe), Sheridan, Fagbola, Mainwaring, Turnbull.

Subs: Ormson, Kenyon, Meaney, Rowe, Eckersley.  

ATT: 1,889 (250)

    Latest Match Reports