Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Fri 24 Aug 12 at 01:46 AM

Hatters throw away half-time lead

Stockport County v Gateshead

The Hatters lost at Edgeley Park for only the second time since December 2011 as visitors Gateshead continued their unbeaten start to the current campaign.

County had actually taken the lead against the run of play in the first half only for the Heed to put in a solid second half display and take all three points.

Remarkably, considering both players had left the field on a stretcher last time out, Sam Sheridan and Craig Hobson both returned to the starting line-up as James Gannon looked for his side to return to winning ways following last week's defeat at Tamworth.

County were first to show and could have taken the lead within the first minute as Danny Hattersley headed over a free kick from Sean Newton.

A poor touch by the full back then saw the visitors on a quick break down the middle of the park, Ian Ormson saving comfortably as a shot came in from the edge of the box.

With Josh Gillies standing out, Gateshead took early control of the half, albeit wasting several opportunities that came their way.

They were unfortunate not to claim a penalty on 8 minutes as Nathan Fisher went down in the box. His theatrical fall possibly going against him.

Another opportunity came their way after Joe Connor was penalised for a foul on the edge of the County box. Chris Bush's free kick catching his own forward, Liam Hatch, full in the face bringing the game to a halt, to allow the forward treatment.

A deep cross from Carl Magnay found Ryan Donaldson out on the left, his first time effort sailing well wide of Ormson's goal as the Heed dominated play

County earned their first corner on 18 minutes and with it almost came the opener, Newton's superb ball in headed just wide by Connor.

The Hatters had finally awoken and a quick spell of pressure saw several opportunities and the opening goal come their way.

Decent play between Sheridan and Andy Halls gave Hattersley a chance, his header cleared to safety by Ben Clark before neat interplay between Jon Nolan and Hattersley was brought to a halt as Hobson was flagged offside on 29 minutes.

The opening goal, somewhat against the run of play, came after a poor touch from Magnay gave County a cheap corner on 33 minutes.

Sheridan's corner kick was headed towards the edge of the box where Connor pounced to smash the ball home to give his side the lead.

The skipper was straight back in action from the restart to clear the danger in his own box, heading a long throw from Bush to safety.

Heed captain Clark then kept his side in the game on 40 minutes, the big defender making a goal saving challenge to stop Hobson notching a second for the Hatters.

There was still time for the visitors to test Ormson, Magnay's effort in the second minute of added time being superbly saved by the young County keeper.

HT: Stockport County 1 Gateshead 0

Straight from the kick off the visitors were on the front foot, Nolan making a superb block to deny Hatch a goal in the first minute of the half although within 10 minutes they had their leveller.

With Gillies again pulling the strings, first Fisher blasted an effort over the bar before Donaldson slotted home a Gillies cross on 55 minutes.

The tiring Sheridan was replaced by Danny Whitehead just after the hour mark as Gannon looked to freshen up his attacking options with Nolan testing visiting keeper moments later following the substitutes lay off.

On 65 minutes Gateshead took a lead they weren't to surrender. A long throw from Bush, only partially cleared by Hattersley, being crossed back in for Mick Cummins to head home in off a post.

A long shot from Nolan on 73 minutes, which drifted wide of the post after neat play from Whitehead, and a deep cross from the substitute, which almost embarrassed keeper Bartlett, being the closest County came to grabbing an equaliser.

Danny Rowe replaced Halls and was quickly into the action springing the offside trap only for a late and inaccurate flag to halt him in his tracks as he went one on one with Bartlett.

County appeared to be thrown a lifeline on 82 minutes as goal scorer Donaldson was shown a straight red card after a poor challenge on Alex Kenyon.

The Hatters began throwing caution to the wind in the quest for at least a point but Ormson was called into action after a swift counter attack saw substitute Marwood, on for Cummins, lash a shot towards the top corner. The young County stopper tipping the effort over the bar.

With seconds left on the clock the Hatters best opportunity of a leveller was blazed over by skipper Connor after neat play between Whitehead and Rowe had found him in space on the edge of the box.

FT: Stockport County 1 Gateshead 2

Starting XI: Ormson, Halls (Rowe), Newton, Connor, O'Donnell, Tunnicliffe, Kenyon, Hattersley, Hobson, Sheridan(Whitehead), Nolan.

Subs: King, Whitehead, Piergianni, Rowe, Fagbola.

ATT: 3,213 (69)


    Latest Match Reports