Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Thu 11 Oct 12 at 09:19 AM

County miss out in five goal thriller

Stockport County supporters will have left Edgeley Park after their team's defeat to Wrexham in good heart after seeing Jim Gannon's young side give as good as they got in losing a five goal thriller which saw the Welsh side move to second place in the Blue Square Premier table.
Danny Hattersley scored two excellent goals for County whilst the visitors were indebted to an own goal from Craig Hobson and two penalties, one in each half, to claim the points.
The first half began at lightning pace with both sides thinking they had taken the lead in the opening minute, Lewis King making a stunning save from Danny Wright, whilst Tom Collins had an effort cleared off the line at the other end.
The visitors claimed the first corner of the game, James Tunnicliffe heading clear, Jonny Hunt firing wide from the second ball in.
It was end to end action as Craig Hobson was denied a goal by a last ditch tackle from Dean Keates after Hobson had escaped his marker, keeper Andy Coughlin catching the resulting corner kick under pressure from Hobson.
Another Wrexham corner kick was claimed by King before referee Stockbridge spoke to Jay Harris after the midfielder had put in a poor challenge in middle of park. Harris not so lucky a minute later as he became the first player in the book after another late challenge, this time on Matt Mainwaring.
County were certainly taking the game to the Welshmen, Paul Turnbull heading Sean Newton's free kick wide, whilst superb play between Danny Whitehead and Newton brought a chance for Turnbull whose goal bound shot was deflected for corner.
Tunnicliffe was called into action as he deflected an Andy Morrell effort for a corner as the visitors showed their intent.
It was the Hatters that looked more likely to open the scoring and on 22 minutes a superb move ended with Danny Hattersley giving his side the lead.
Superb play between Whitehead and Newton gave the full back the space and time to deliver his cross, Hattersley providing the perfect finish in front of the large travelling support.
The goal stung Wrexham and they were level within a couple of minutes, Danny Wright's shot being deflected for a corner. Craig Hobson diverting the corner kick into his own net to bring the scores level.
Great wing play from Tom Collins almost brought another County goal his cross, after beating two men out wide, being cleared as Hattersley looked set to score, Newton repeating the trickery on the left before driving an effort into the side netting after tricking his way into box.
Danny Wright created a chance for himself, shooting just wide as the game continued with its end to end theme with the visitors appealing for a penalty for handball.
Jonny Hunt was the next player into the book, showing dissent after Whitehead had been sent tumbling, Newton blazing the free kick well over the bar.
The game turned in the visitors favour on 36 minutes as they were awarded a penalty for a push on Chris Westwood by Turnbull, Neil Ashton slotting the resulting spot kick home before incurring the wrath of the home supporters by rushing to celebrate in front of a packed Cheadle End, referee Stockbridge taking no action.
The half came to an end with a lucky escape for Wrexham as Westwood slipped whilst making a clearance, Hattersley's cross being cleared by Riley.
HT: Stockport County 1 (Hattersley)  Wrexham 2
King was in action early in the half saving well from Wright in the first minute. From the first corner of the second half he tipped a snap shot onto the bar with Jordan Fagbola clearing the danger, before saving from Wright again after a break down the left from the visitors.
The game was still very open with both sides looking for the next goal. Hobson had an effort charged down on the edge of the box whilst Collins, played in superbly by Fagbola, saw his low cross cleared by Dean Keates. Collins then broke away from a Wrexham corner to sprint clear, his effort shaving the outside of the post with keeper Coughlin beaten.
Cieslewicz dragged an effort wide of King's goal after he had been found on edge of box by Hunt, with Ashton earning a booking for time wasting at a throw in.
Brilliant work from Mainwaring saw him trick his way past two men on the left, his pullback being smashed over the bar by Whitehead, further pressure from County ended as Turnbull chipped an effort wide.
Harris drove the middle to shoot high over the bar with Riley heading wide from a Morrell flick-on from a corner kick on the left.
The game swung the way of Wrexham on 72 minutes, King looking to have made a clean save at the feet of Wright only for Referee Stockbridge to point to the spot for the second time in favour of the visitors.
Ashton smacked home his second spot kick, King getting a strong hand on the ball but failing to keep it out, before Ashton was shown a second yellow card for celebrating with the visiting supporters behind the goal. The full back had been lucky not to have been shown a second yellow minutes earlier after becoming involved with home supporters.
County came storming back against the ten men with Hattersley grabbing his second of the night with a superb header from Newton's cross on 84 minutes to set up a grandstand finish. Danny Rowe came on for Whitehead and his first touch almost brought a leveller, Hobson's flick from his cross saved by Coughlin as it looked to be a certain goal.
FT: Stockport County 2 (Hattersley 2) Wrexham 3
Starting XI: King, Halls, Newton, Tunnicliffe, Whitehead (Rowe), Hattersley, Collins (Meaney), Hobson, Fagbola, Mainwaring, Turnbull.
Subs: Ormson, Sheridan, Meaney, Rowe, Eckersley. 
ATT: ATT 3,789 (718)

    Latest Match Reports