Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 15 Jan 13 at 21:37 PM

Hatters lose to Stags

County were once again beaten in a game that they had more than enough chances to take something from, with Danny Hattersley missing an early penalty with the game goal less, and a calamitous seven minutes before the break which saw the visitors take control of the match, the luckless Hattersley guilty of gifting Town a penalty in added time to allow Matt Green to make it 0-3 at half time. 

County began the game brightly with Hattersley missing a very early chance, heading over when well placed in the 6 yard box, before placing his spot kick tamely wide after Ritchie Sutton had handled Andy Halls' cross in the area.

The County striker then heading a Danny Whitehead cross over the bar as the Hatters kept up their early pressure.

Richard O'Donnell, making his County debut, showed his mettle as he denied Lee Stevenson a goal, diving bravely to block his effort from 6 yards as the visitors broke for the first time on the quarter hour mark.

The Hatters were still looking the more likely to open the scoring, Connor Jennings's neat pass playing in Whitehead, whilst Alan Marriott saved another Hattersley header.

Mansfield almost took the lead from their first corner kick as Lee Beevers header beat O'Donnell only for Sean Newton to head off the line, before Colin Daniel smashed the visitors into the lead from the edge of the box after Alex Kenyon had been penalised for a foul.

Two minutes later they doubled their lead as a free kick from the half way line found Green at the far post his goal bound effort tapped home by Stevenson looking suspiciously offside.

Hattersley's and County's night got worse in time added on as the County striker, back defending another Town corner, was adjudged to foul John Dempster in the area, Green slotting home the resulting spot kick.

HT: Stockport County 0 Mansfield Town 3

Matt Mainwaring and Tom Collins replaced Halls and Hattersley for the start of the second half, Collins immediately in the thick of the action with a dangerous cross which eluded Jennings and Whitehead.

With a three goal cushion Town appeared happy to sit back and allow the Hatters to control the play in the second half, Kenyon coming close to clawing a goal back with a decent header, with Anthony Howell shooting wide on a rare foray forward for Town.

Alex Meaney, making his first appearance following knee surgery, replaced Jon Nolan with a quarter of an hour to play and immediately showed what County have been missing during his absence.

His first touch played Mainwaring into space, the midfielders cross curled just over the bar by Jennings. Meaney then earned a booking  for an overzealous tackle on Beevers, but made a more positive contribution minutes later as he was on hand to tap home a late consolation goal after Whitehead's shot had hit the post. James Tunnicliffe missed a chance to create a grand stand finish as he blasted over the bar from inside the 6 yard box in added time.

FT: Stockport County 1 (Meaney) Mansfield Town 3

Starting XI: O'Donnell, Halls (Mainwaring), Newton, Connor, Tunnicliffe, Whitehead, Kenyon, Hattersley (Collins), Nolan (Meaney), Fagbola, Jennings.
Subs: Ormson, Collins, Hobson, Meaney, Mainwaring.

ATT: 2,647 (139)

    Latest Match Reports