Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 27 Oct 13 at 10:45 AM

Hatters go down to A-stute Histon

County were left frustrated as two defensive lapses cost them all three points at the Glassworld Stadium, after Scott Duxbury's first goal for County had given them the lead.

The game had begun with county finding a good early rhythm and Verma's early shot was well blocked by the Histon defence. Minutes later County went close again as Platt's well struck shot was fumbled by the home keeper and rolled agonisingly wide of the post.

County continued to press and Howard's cross-come shot was failed to be turned in by the county front line.

The home side finally kicked into life but a free kick failed to stretch Ormson after bending around the county wall. County replied with some typically dogged work from Howard winning a corner which saw Tunnicliffe’s header go narrowly wide. Arguably the best chance of the half fell to Kristian Dennis a minute later but frustratingly he saw the keeper get down sharply to block his goal bound shot.

The half ended with the Stutes growing into the game and sharp work by Jacobs prevented them from capitalising. County were dealt a serious blow when a seemingly innocent challenge on Rhys Turner resulted in lengthy treatment and forced the dangerous striker off the field to be replaced by Adriano Moke. The Last meaningful action of the half saw Duxbury booked for a late tackle by the touchline.

A minor Drama was averted at half time when a visiting referee assessor was summoned from the stand to run the line in the second half after one of the starting officials was unable to resume because of injury. This led to a delayed second half kick off and assistant manager Terry Mitchell kept the County team ticking over with an extended warm up.

This abundant energy was carried into the start of the second half as County struck early from an in swinging corner. Howard's delivery was met by Scott Duxbury inside the six yard box to give County the lead. This should have spurred County on and provided the platform to win the game. However Histon reacted the stronger to the arrival of the first goal and immediately put County on the back foot.

Uncertain defending saw Histon force a corner 6 mins later and a deep cross saw McDonald equalise with an uncontested header in the County box.

The game hung in the balance now and both teams pressed for the winner. County were denied what looked like a stonewall penalty when Moke was upended in the box with the referee somehow determining the ball had gone out for a corner to the anguished appeals from an incredulous County bench.

A length of the field surge from centre half James Tunnicliffe bought a second penalty appeal minutes later but this was less convincing.

County paid for failing to turn their bouts of pressure into a winning goal when a second defensive mix up bought Histon their winner. A long ball from the back was headed tamely clear by Tunnicliffe with his team mates failing to communicate that he could have let the ball run through safely to Ormson. Histon seized on the loose ball and a cut back was bundled in by Taaffe.

Lord attempted to engineer a fight back with Windsor replacing the tiring Verma but an optimistic Howard overhead kick and a wild Dennis strike was all that County could muster.

The final whistle was greeted with delight by the home supporters as a frustrated County trooped off knowing that they had enjoyed enough of the game to be going home with at least something.

Attendance: 508 (151)

Written by Sam Thompson

    Latest Match Reports