Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 04 Mar 14 at 22:30 PM

County pegged back by Barrow

County extended their unbeaten run at home following a 2-2 draw with the in-form Barrow. The Hatters will feel disappointed that they were unable to take all three points after going 2-0 up inside the first 35 minutes of the game but were unable to hold on to the lead.


With neither team being able to gain control of the match, County’s first chance fell to Mark Battersby following some creative movement from the striker which allowed Phil Jevons to play a neat through ball into the feet of the forward who fired the ball straight at Bluebirds keeper McMillan.


The deadlock was broken on the 22nd minute as Nicky Platt played a ball for Rhys Oates although it failed to find its original target following a deflection from a Barrow defender and the ball fell to the feet of Bobby Lofthouse who calmly placed the ball into the back of the net, scoring his first goal for the Hatters. County continued their search for a second and neat one touch football between Platt, Oates and Jevons put Battersby through on goal but he sent the ball wide of the mark.


The Hatters doubled their lead ten minutes later following a dominant spell of possession. Rhys Oates used his pace to good effect as a fabulous Jacobs through ball put him in on goal. He took on the on-rushing keeper and confidently slotted the ball into the net.


Barrow immediately replied three minutes later and narrowed the deficit through Alex-Ray Harvey, as a lofted ball was played over the County defence. Harvey used his pace to latch onto the loose ball and fired past Ormson.


On the stroke of half time Barrow could have been down to ten men. Kyle Jacobs played the ball into centre of the park and went on a darting run as the ball was played back into his path. He managed to take a touch away from the defender but was stopped in his tracks and brought down from behind from what seemed to be the last man, but only a yellow card was given and led to the departure of the injured Kyle Jacobs game as the full back was replaced by O’Halloran.


Lofthouse came close to earning his second goal of the match, playing in an in-swinging corner which forced the keeper into a diving save.


Barrow piled the pressure on the County defence from early in the second half and they were denied an equaliser on the 56th minute as the ball was floated over the County defence from a free-kick and Rushton got onto the through ball but the linesman’s flag was already raised.


The pressure from Barrow paid off as they equalised on the 67th minute through Nick Rushton. As the ball was cleared from the Barrow penalty area, Fagbola failed to clear his lines as the ball rolled under his foot leaving the Bluebirds striker through on goal with just Ormson to beat. Keeping his composure he rounded Ormson and passed the ball into the net.



County: Ian Ormson, Kyle Jacobs (Stephen O’Halloran), Scott Duxbury, Jamie Milligan, Jordan Fagbola, Mark Lees, Nicky Platt (Tunji Moses), Mark Battersby, Rhys Oates, Phil Jevons (Capt), Robert Lofthouse (Iain Howard)


Substitutes not used: Shane Lewis, Kieran Charnock


Barrow AFC: Tony McMillan, Andy Burns, Liam Willis, Paddy Lacky, Danny O’Donnell, Robbie Williams, Alex-Ray Harvey, Sam Sheridan (Ted Cribley), Nick Ruston (Tom Corner), Phil Marsh (Gareth Arnison), Paul Edwards (Capt)


Substitutes not used: Alex Meechan, Dan Parkinson


Attendance: 2457 (157)

Written by Sam Thompson

    Latest Match Reports