Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sun 10 Aug 14 at 10:44 AM

County lose out in season opener

After finishing second in the league last season, North Ferriby were always expected to pose a threat at Edgeley Park as the County fans were given a glimpse of their new signings on opening day.

It was quiet first 45 minutes of the season for both teams, with much of the ball being played in the middle of the pitch. Nathan Woolfe looked threatening down the left flank with pace and skill, always keeping the Ferriby right-back on his toes.

New keeper Danny Hurst did well to keep out a dangerous effort from Emerton, tipping it out for a corner. Jarman also looked to take a chance inside the box but the Ferriby player hit it just over the crossbar.

The solid County back line managed to keep out a physical Ferriby side for the first 45 minutes and Lees in particular made some solid interventions. While County showed some promising approach play, it was the final ball that kept them from carving out a clear cut chance.

HT: County 0-0 North Ferriby United

After a slow first half, the gamed really opened up in the second. Hurst made another import save, again keeping out a Jarman effort on goal. Ferriby began to grow in strength and they capitalised on a poorly cleared corner in the County box. Matt Wilson managed to get his shot away and volley it into the back of the net to give the visitors the lead.

County responded and they posed much more of a threat going forward after falling behind.

The Hatters began using the flanks more and Woolfe made some dangerous runs past Ferriby's full-backs. It was a familiar story however, with the final ball into the box lacking the quality to create clear chances.

In the middle of the second half, Milligan received a ball from the far left only to blast it over the bar in what was County's best chance of the match.

Sharp nearly got his name on the scoresheet as another Woolfe cross picked out the forward but he couldn't keep his header down. Woolfe continued to threaten and he was brought down by the Ferriby captain Matt Wilson who consequently was shown a yellow card.

Kristian Dennis nearly equalised for County, blasting a shot at goal only for it to be brilliantly saved by opposing goalkeeper Nicklin.

A late challenge saw Baker receive the second and final yellow card of the match a few minutes before full time.

In a difficult afternoon County's defence stood up to the challenge from Ferriby, only lapsing once to give Ferriby their winner. New defenders Belezika and Gregson made promising debuts in the back-line and Lees was a dependable presence.

Nathan Woolfe, always looked dangerous running down the left and unsettling the opposition and was named as the Man of the Match. County's failure to convert one of their second half chances ultimately cost them a point.

FT: County 0-1 North Ferriby United
Goal: Wilson

County: Hurst, Belezika, Duxbury, Milligan (Sharp), Gregson, Lees, Ryan, Churchman, Dennis, Baker Woolfe (Spencer)  Subs: Sharp, Ormson, Spencer, O' Halloran, Lofthouse

North Ferriby United: Nicklin, Lisles, Peat, King, Wilson, Anderson, Emerton, D'Laryea, Denton, Jarman, Clayton Subs: Gray, Pecora, Wilde, Bolder, Fry

Attendance: 2714 (39 Away)

    Latest Match Reports