Skip to main content

Report: County 1-2 Man City XI

Posted: Sat 28 Jul 2012

Image by:

Fine County performance, but late double from Citizens sees victory for visitors

Tom Collins, Jon Nolan and Danny Rowe all returned to the starting eleven for the early kick off against neighbours Manchester City. City named a young side bolstered by Internationals Nigel de Jong and Roque Santa Cruz.

Nolan was in the wars in the very first minute as he came off worse in a 50/50 challenge with Emyr Huws, the midfielder able to continue after treatment.

On eight minutes Alex Kenyon and Rowe combined well down the left, Kenyon's cross causing Ian Lawlor in the City goal some concern before Jeremy Helan cleared the danger.

Santa Cruz blasted a superb effort against the County bar from the edge of the 6 yard box on thirteen minutes after good work on the right from Adam Drury as the visitors started to push forward.

The Hatters survived a strong penalty appeal on eighteen minutes as the first corner of the game appeared to strike Joe Connor on the hand.

County were quick to make a counter attack, with Collins' cross from the right comfortably gathered by Lawlor.

Much of the play was in the middle of the field, with Nolan, Sam Sheridan, Joe Connor and Kenyon giving their City counterparts a good game.

County won two corners in quick succession on the half hour mark, the second of which brought their first chance. Rowe firing just wide from Nolan's deflected effort.

Nolan then shot over on 32 minutes after great work from Collins on the left hand side.

de Jong was spoken to by referee Mathieson after a poor challenge on Collins on the halfway line on thirty five minutes, as County began to look more dangerous.

City, still looking dangerous on the counter attack earned their fourth corner of the half from which Santa Cruz saw his deft header, from Albert Rusnak's kick on 39 minutes, slam off the post, Connor clearing the rebound.

HT: Stockport County 0 Manchester City 0

Ben Say, Zach Rothwell and Cameron Darkwah replaced Andy Halls, Alex Kenyon and Tom Collins for the start of the second half.

City substitute Jordi Hiwula forced the first save of the half out of Ian Ormson as his snapshot  from a right wing cross was gathered at the second attempt.

Darkwah was denied a goal scoring opportunity on fifty six minutes, the offside flag was raised as he raced onto a neat through ball from Rothwell.

Ormson was tested by Hiwula again on fifty seven minutes as the substitute tried his luck from distance. Drury's effort a minute later had the young keeper at full stretch, but the shot whistled passed the post.

de Jong was replaced on the hour mark by Louis Hutton, with Kyle Brownhill coming on for Nolan for the Hatters.

From Sheridan's free kick on sixty seven minutes, following a foul on Darkwah, Danny O'Donnell in acres of space at the far post, put County ahead as he slotted home.

Connor made a superb goal saving tackle on 73 minutes, sliding in to deny Hiwula another shot on goal.

Darkwah missed a chance to put the game beyond the visitors on eighty minutes. Say beat his man on the right before Rothwell found Darkwah with a great cross from the right, his point blank effort saved well by Lawlor.

On eighty four minutes Hiwula danced into the box only to be upended by Newton, the young City striker getting up to blast home the resulting spot kick.

Hiwula, looking suspiciously offside, picked up a pass from Frankie Bunn and rifled home from a tight angle to put City in the lead in added time.

FT: Stockport County 1 Manchester City 2

Starting XI: Ormson, Halls, Newton, Connor, O'Donnell, Tunnicliffe, Kenyon, Collins, Sheridan, Nolan, Rowe .

Subs: Annerson (G/K), Darkwah, Omoboye, Piergianni, Brownhill, Say, Meaney, Graham, Rothwell.

ATT: 2,123 (406)