FA Trophy Report & Pics: AFC Fylde 0-0 County

Fylde Under Fascinating, As Hatters Get On The Front Foot For Second Leg

The Hatters’ inaugural appearance in the last four of the FA Trophy saw them contest a goalless draw for the first time in over 18 months, following an impressive performance at Mill Farm against National League Fylde that leaves the two sides all-square for the second leg in SK3.

Sam Walker on the ball for County

On a wet and windswept afternoon near the Lancashire coast, County enjoyed the greater share of scoring chances while defending in depth, when required, to restrict opportunities for the hosts.

The Hatters took to the field showing four changes from the line-up that had started at Brackley in the National League North a week previously. Scott Duxbury, Adam Thomas, Nyal Bell and Darren Stephenson were recalled within a 4-2-3-1 formation, replacing Lewis Baines and Dan Cowan – both named among the substitutes – the suspended Frank Mulhern, and Jake Kirby, who is now ruled out by injury for the remainder of the season.

Sam Minihan on the ball for County

Roared on by a travelling contingent of Hatters who, having bought up all available tickets,  outnumbered the home support, County began the tie in lively manner – and went close with just five minutes played, after Stephenson ran on to Elliot Osborne’s through-ball, rounded Fylde goalkeeper Jay Lynch and hit the outside of the right post from an angle.

Lynch, rather than the woodwork, denied the same player seven minutes later – using his legs to keep out a snap-shot by Stephenson, following Thomas’ low cross from the right.

Nyal Bell on ther ball for County

The ‘Coasters’, by contrast, offered little attacking threat in the early stages – with only a deflected shot by Nick Haughton and Serhat Tasdemir’s header into the arms of Ben Hinchliffe to show for their efforts during the first half-hour. But Hinchliffe subsequently needed to be alert in diving to parry James Hardy’s well-struck effort from distance.

Ten minutes ahead of the break, the Hatters almost capitalised on a mistake by Lynch – although Fylde’s Number One recovered from spilling the ball to block Stephenson’s follow-up strike.

HALF-TIME: Fylde 0, County 0.

The prevailing wind began to help County upon the resumption, as half a dozen corners – delivered by Osborne and Sam Walker from the left and right, respectively – within the first 20 minutes after half-time were whipped in with added venom to keep the Coasters under pressure.

Jamie Stott clears for County

But the Hatters also continued to create chances in open play. Thomas squared from the left for Jordan Keane to blast over, before Osborne played in Bell – who advanced towards goal at pace, only to see his shot saved by Lynch. 

A Duxbury cross on the left was ricocheted off target from Thomas – and Osborne, for the second time within 10 minutes, released Bell with a delicious through-ball that the striker drilled just shy of the right post.

Elliot Osborne on the ball for County

For all their endeavour, the Hatters could well have found themselves undeservedly trailing at the tie’s halfway-stage. But former Hatter Danny L Rowe fired beyond the left upright, Tom Crawford ballooned an effort over, and, in added time, Hinchliffe brilliantly blocked a point-blank shot by substitute Alex Reid, following Haughton’s cross from the right.

FULL-TIME: Fylde 0, County 0.

Team: Hinchliffe, Minihan, Duxbury, Keane, Palmer (Capt.), Stott, Thomas (Warburton, 83), Walker, Bell, Osborne, Stephenson.

Unused Subs: Baines, Ormson, Cowan, Turnbull.

Attendance: 2,605 (1,350 representing The Twelfth Man). 

Reporter: Gareth Evans.

Photographer: Mike Petch.


Keep Up To Date With All The Latest News And Special Offers...

Your email address will not be shared with any 3rd parties