To develop all of our Academy U9-U19 players, we deliver the most relevant and cutting-edge games model, individual model, team training model and principles of play, which focus on high performance, high challenge, and high support.
Our expert staff deliver from our Academy base at Stockport Sports Village and at our first-team training ground at Carrington. A huge part of the academy’s aims is teaching young players to take ownership of their own development to create lifelong habits. Every academy member is provided with a gym programme, allowing time to take part in additional individual training drills and analyse video clips of their own performance via access to the cutting-edge technology the Club employs through VEO. They are tasked with identifying their own personal goals, whilst the coach supplements these with team goals.
Players’ benefit from the below
- The required amount of training hours a week, in accordance with EPPP regulations
- Progressive development models
- Individual learning plans and objectives
- UEFA-licensed coaches and ex-professionals
- Outstanding Educational provision
- Access to expert tutors
- Excellent player-care support
- Regular player reviews
- Access to VEO/HUDL for video analysis
- Social media coverage
- A variety of competitive high-quality fixtures
- Technical and Tactical sessions planned with a multi-disciplinary approach
- Gym training and programme
- Pre, mid, and post-season fitness testing
- Specialist goalkeeper training
- Access to outstanding medical care
- Full playing and training kit
The games programme
We have developed an excellent games programme. We will play predominantly against other category three to one academy teams, but also against non-league, grassroot, county and school teams. This variety of competitive fixtures gives our young players the opportunity to face different problems and achieve several learning outcomes.
The following Playing Philosophy provides meaning and direction to the technical and tactical program:
Out of Possession
To look to Press from the front, with Intensity and good 1v1 defending skills. If we can’t press, we Delay, Deny and Dictate (3D’s) to a point of being able to press again.
To create goal scoring opportunities through individual and combined movements to play round, through and over the opposition. Players will be encouraged to be clever and take risks in the appropriate areas of the pitch in order to create goal-scoring opportunities.
In to Out Possession – Upon losing possession of the ball, look to counter press and regain possession to quickly attack.
Out to In Possession – Upon regaining possession we look to counterattack quickly to create goal scoring opportunities, Release early to the furthest forward pass , if that isn’t available, Run forward with the ball and attack the space, or retain and build (3R’s).
Identity & Values
- Identity = Intensity
- Competitiveness – “Winning isn’t everything but wanting to win is.” – Vince Lombardi
- Work rate – “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard”
- Body Language – Turning up with a confident posture will translate into a positive attitude within both yourself and the people around you.
- Togetherness – Working for the team in every way possible
- Respect – Demand respect and show it to your peers
- Enjoyment – The main reason people watch and play football.