Stockport County’s home since 1902
Stockport County FC, Edgeley Park, Hardcastle Road, Stockport, SK3 9DD
Stockport County moved to Edgeley Park, then home of Stockport Rugby League Club, in 1902, having previously played at Green Lane in Heaton Norris.
Down the years the old ground has seen many greats play on the hallowed turf, including George Best, Bobby Moore, Kevin Keegan, Stan Mortensen amongst many more. As of the end of the 2011-12 season, there had been 6,186 League goals scored at Edgeley Park, 3,797 of those scored by County.
Edgeley Park Moments
1902 – Stockport County move to Edgeley Park
1903 – First Popular Side constructed
1913 – First Main Stand built, a 500-seater timber stand
1923 – Wooden terrace built at the Cheadle End
1927 – Popular Side reconstructed
1934 – The 13-0 victory over Halifax Town
1934 – Popular Side extended further back to hold 16,000
1935 – Main Stand burns down, rebuilt just a year later
1946 – County v Doncaster – the longest-ever football match ever played
1950 – 27,833 cram in to watch a 5th Round FA Cup game against Liverpool
1956 – First floodlit game, against Fortuna ’54 Geleen – County won 3-0 in front of 14,511
1958 – England played at Edgeley Park… twice… on the same day!
1967 – Bench seating installed in Cheadle End, reducing capacity to 1,100
1977 – Visited by The Queen during her Silver Jubliee
1978 – The Lacrosse World Cup Final
1978 – Popular Side capacity halved as the rear is dismantled
1985 – Wooden Cheadle End demolished following the Valley Parade disaster
1994 – Popular Side made all-seater
1995 – New 5,000-seat Cheadle End built
2001 – 1,300 seats bolted onto Railway End terrace
2017 – Cheadle End renamed the ‘Pioneer Group Cheadle End’
2019 – Railway End renamed the ‘Viridor End’
The first major structure at the Cheadle End of the ground was erected in 1923 and, by the halcyon ‘Go Go Go County’ era of the 1960s, housed the ‘Cheadle Enders’, an army of around 3,000 noisy, bouncing fans who gave the team quite incredible vocal backing.
Previously a wooden terrace, basic seating was installed in 1967 which cut capacity in the stand to just 1,100. The timber structure remained unaltered until demolition following the Valley Parade fire in 1985.
Replace by a few steps of concrete terracing, the shallow terrace remained until 1995, when the magnificent new all-seater seater Cheadle End, holding just over 5,000, was opened at the start of the 1995-96 season. It was christened with a 1-0 win over Wrexham.
In 2017, the club announced a sponsorship deal with Pioneer Group, which saw the end renamed ‘the Pioneer Group Cheadle End’.
The large structure has room for conference & banqueting suites, shop facilities and matchday stewarding areas. The upper tier is home to the noisier ‘Cheadle Enders’, adding to the matchday experience with a multitude of songs and colourful banners.
Today’s capacity is 5,044.
The Danny Bergara Stand (Main Stand)
The first major development on the Hardcastle Road side of the ground came in 1913 with the construction of a 500-seater timber enclosure, which incorporated new changing rooms and office accommodation.
This stand remained, with only minor alterations, until the summer of 1935 when it perished in an incredible fire.
Just 12 months later, though, Mr Charles Sutcliffe, President of the Football League, officially opened an impressive new structure.
And the team took to their new environment immediately. After the opening ceremony York City were beaten 6-0 and, at the end of the season, County were crowned champions of the Division Three (North) for a second time.
The 1980s saw the Paddock, a terrace well below pitch level in front of the seated area, filled with concrete and fitted with blue plastic seats.
Similar seats replaced the old, uncomfortable, wooden seats in the stand soon after. This modernisation, unfortunately, necessitated the removal of the unique Edgeley Park drawbridge. The timber structure was lowered to provide access for the players from the tunnel, over the Paddock, and onto the pitch!
Today, it is home to various facilities including changing rooms, the Boardroom and the manager’s matchday office. Capacity is 2,020, of which 405 are executive & sponsors’ seats.
In 2012 the stand was renamed the Danny Bergara Stand, in honour of our former manager who led County to remarkable success in the early ’90s, including four visits to Wembley.
The Vernon Stand (The Popular Side)
In 1903 a new, covered stand was constructed on the Popular Side of Edgeley Park, housing 1,400 supporters. This stand was replaced in 1927 and further added to in 1934 with a stand that ran the whole length of the terracing.
When a record 27,833 packed the ground for the visit of Liverpool in an FA Cup 5th round tie in 1950 around 16,000 fans turned the Pop Side into a cauldron of noise.
In 1954 the roof on the Pop Side was extended forward to cover the whole terrace. On completion the stand was renamed the Barlow Stand to commemorate the sterling work undertaken by Ernest Barlow, club chairman from 1923 until his death thirty-one years later.
In 1978 half the Barlow Stand was dismantled and replaced by an all-weather 5-a-side pitch and, in 1994, capacity was reduced to 2,411 by the installation of seats.
Today, two of the five sections, totalling just over 900, are usually allocated to away supporters if the weather is poor.
The Railway End at Edgeley Park once housed 4,000 Liverpool supporters in an FA Cup fourth round replay in 1965.
By the mid-80s, the old wooden sleepers were replaced with concrete terracing.
By the late-90s capacity had been reduced to around 2,700 on the terrace, and in 2001 seats were bolted on as Football League rules required stadia to be all-seated in the top two divisions of English football.
The Railway End was normally allocated to away supporters, depending on weather and expected turnout of away fans. Capacity is 1,366, although this can be altered by segregation.
In August 2019, the club announced a sponsorship agreement with Viridor, which would see the end named ‘the Viridor End’.